Inter-State Studio Teacher of the Year Contest
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
1. ELIGIBILITY: 2017 Inter-State Studio Teacher of the Year (the “Contest”) is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (plus Washington, D.C.), who is a student (K-12), principal, coworker, parent of student, or peer of a full-time teacher, counselor, or librarian of grades K-12 who is employed by a private, public, or charter school. Void where prohibited. Employees, officers and directors of Inter-State Studio and Publishing Co. (collectively the “Sponsor”), all advertising and promotional agencies and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, sales representatives, distributors, manufacturers, licensees or agents, advertising and Contest agencies, and their immediate family members and those living in the same household of each, are not eligible to participate in this Contest. Photographers who derive five percent (5%) or more of their income from taking photographs are also ineligible. Subject to all applicable federal, state, municipal, and local laws and regulations.
2. SPONSORS: Inter-State Studio and Publishing Co. 3500 Snyder Ave. P.O. Box 1177, Sedalia, Missouri, 65302-1177 Administrator: Inter-State Studio and Publishing Co.
3. CONTEST PERIOD: The Contest runs between 12:00 a.m. Central Standard Time (“CST”) on February 16, 2017 and 11:59 p.m. CST on April 12, 2017 (the “Contest Period”) and consists of two (2) phases as set forth in the chart below:
Starts at 12:00 a.m. CST
Ends at 11:59 p.m. CST
February 16, 2017
April 12, 2017
April 14, 2017
April 27, 2017
Administrator’s computer is the official timekeeping device for the Contest.
4. HOW TO ENTER: There are two (2) divisions. Divisions will be determined based on the relationship of the nominator to the nominee. Nominators that are students (K-12) will be entered into the Student Division. If the nominating individual is under 18, parental consent is needed to participate. Parent contact information will be required for those under the age of 18. Nominators that are principal(s), school peer(s), or parents of students will be entered into the Peer Division. To nominate a teacher, an application form must be completed in its entirety. Any application not completed in its entirety will not be accepted as a qualifying entry. The application form consists of the following sections:
a. Information about the individual nominating.
b. Basic information of the nominee.
c. A 100-300 uniquely worded essay, poem, or thank-you that describes why you feel your nominee should be selected as Inter-State Studio’s Teacher of the Year.
i. Responses should indicate details that answer all three of the following:
1. Why you feel this teacher is deserving of this award.
2. Describe an event or time where this teacher made an impact upon you or his or her students.
3. How has this teacher made an impact on your school?
Essay/Copyright (Entries must have parental consent by a parent or guardian if the individual nominating is under the age of 18.) If under 18, your submission of an entry form is your guarantee that you have permission from a parent, guardian, or sole person.
Ownership/Use Rights By entering the Contest, contestants agree to have their essay displayed on the Inter-State Studio website without any fee or other form of compensation, and agree that Inter-State Studio and Publishing Co. may use the essay for promotional use (decided by the Sponsor). Essays will be credited to the contestant named in the entry form. In the event that ownership of any essay submitted is contested in any manner, Sponsor may disqualify that essay and discontinue use of the essay.
5. JUDGING/VOTING/CONTEST WINNER DETERMINATION:
a. Initial Judging by Qualified Panel: During the Initial Judging Phase, a panel of qualified judges (selected by Sponsor in their sole discretion), whose decisions regarding the Contest and related matters are final and binding, will select from all eligible entrants who submitted their entry form during the Submission Phase. The judges will make this decision based upon the following criteria:
i. Completeness of the overall entry.
ii. Does the essay, poem, or thank-you stay within the 100-300 word limitation?
iii. Does the essay, poem, or thank-you address each of the three questions outlined on the entry form?
iv. The impact upon the judges of the content of the essay, poem, or thank-you describing why the nominee should be granted the title of Inter-State Studio’s Teacher of the Year. Should a tie remain, a new judge (determined by Sponsor in their sole discretion) will re-judge the remaining tied entries based upon all criteria set forth above. If the qualified panel is unavailable for any reason to judge the Finalist, then new judges shall be selected by Sponsor in their sole discretion.
6. FINALIST VERIFICATION/DISQUALIFICATION: Potential Finalists will be notified on or about May 12, 2017 by phone, email, and/or mail using the contact information given at the time of entry. The Sponsor, in their sole discretion, may disqualify a Finalist for any reason relating to behavioral issues. In the event of disqualification, Sponsor will select another potential Finalist in accordance with the judging procedures listed in Section 5(a), up to two (2) times (if time permits), after which the applicable Finalist will not be awarded.
a. Grand Prize: The one (1) Grand Prize winner (out of both categories) will receive a classroom grant ($300 value) and an “Inter-State Teacher of the Year” plaque.
b. Runner-up Prize: The two (2) Runner ups (one (1) for each division) will receive a classroom grant ($200 value) and an “Inter-State Teacher of the Year” plaque.
For All Prizes: No cash equivalent; all prizes are non-transferable and no substitution will be made except as provided herein at the Sponsor's sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any listed prize for one of equal or greater value if the designated prize should become unavailable for any reason. Winners are responsible for all taxes and fees associated with prize receipt and/or use. Limit: One (1) prize per winner. In no event will more prizes be awarded than those listed in these Official Contest Rules.
8. GENERAL RULES: By entering or participating in the Contest, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for electronic hardware, programming or software malfunctions, or failures, or line connections, accessibility or availability, or technical failures of any kind, or unauthorized human intervention, or the incorrect or inaccurate capture of any entry of other information, or for the failure to capture any such information. Sponsor is not responsible for:
a. Any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest.
b. Technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software.
c. Unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest.
d. Technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries.
e. Any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize.
Further, if, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned by reason of infection of virus, bugs, worms, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, may corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, at their sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest, and select the winners of Finalists for the Contest, from the entries received prior to the action taken or in other such manners deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor.
Entrants, by participating in this Contest, hereby waive and release, and agree to hold harmless the Sponsor, the Administrator, all promotions and advertising agencies, and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, advertising and promotion agencies, and all of the respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents, from and against, any and all rights, claims and causes of action whatsoever that they may have, or which may arise, against any of them for any liability for any matter, cause or thing whatsoever, including but not limited to any injury, loss, damage, whether direct, compensatory, incidental or consequential, to person, including death and property, arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from their acceptance, possession, use or misuse of prize in the Contest, or their participation in the Contest, or their participation in any contest or prize-related activity, or any travel related to the Contest or any travel for any prize-related activity. Winners and Finalists also further acknowledge that Sponsor, their affiliates, subsidiaries, employees, officers, directors, and promotions and advertising agencies have neither made, nor are in any manner responsible or liable for, any warranty, representation or guarantee, expressed or implied, in fact or in law relative to any prize or this Contest including but not limited to quality, condition or fitness for a particular purpose.
9. PERSONAL INFORMATION: The personal information collected through the Contest is subject to Sponsor's privacy statements. Any personal information handled by an agency or vendor of Sponsor, will be done solely on their behalf and all such information shall be handled exclusively in conformance with Sponsor's privacy statements.